Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Enjoying Turkish Music


Seminario Saida 2007, originally uploaded by yamilebellydance.

Today I was invited to a little Turkish party for the end of Ramadan--and it just so happens that a very good Turkish musician came to Buffalo to play is very beautiful instrument--called a Kanun.

This instruments sounds like a harp but has a crisper sound. The melodies are mesmerizing. I felt like I was under an olive tree with some yummie Turkish food! (well, I obviously wish that was the actual case, but then I opened my eyes).

I find myself very much attracted to this region of the world...I am sure in my past life I lived there....
inshuallah---I go back :)

4 comments:

  1. The kanun in the picture is 'Arabic, not Turkish, so the music you heard wasn't Turkish, or it was very bad Turkish because 'Arabic kanuns dosn't have the tones for Turkish music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sorry...
    now i see that the picture is not related...
    anyway, thats not a Turkish kanun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Qanuji for letting me know the difference. Actually I didn't have my camera at the event and I was not able to take a picture of the Kanun.

    I feel very lucky to have heard one either way!

    Peace~

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are welcome to my website, to hear some more.

    ReplyDelete