Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to not only continue reading for my PhD, but to continue to read a bit each night of the many books on my list of "MUST READS"...

My goal is to finish this book before April when Krian Desai comes to Buffalo to speak about her book. (Which won the Booker prize in 2006!!).

The book has me hooked already...as I am introduced to this young girl Sai and her life situation. Her parents have passed away and she now lives with her grandfather in the hills of Kashmir......a parallel story is built as the cook (of the grandfather) has a son who travels to America to pave his way about...

His story is opposite of what international students' face...and I feel a certain sense of compassion for this young boy trying to negotiate life in the streets of New York...

If you do not have this book...I recommend you pick it up!

1 comment:

  1. I must tell Suketu about this book... He will be very interested.

    ReplyDelete